We enjoyed Mexican pastries for breakfast, having finished one of the sourdough halves. Walmart doesn't have a gourmet bakery, but it's competent and we enjoyed a variety of forms & flavors.
And the sanitized produce made a nice display (we won't mention the oodles of lettuce, herbs and such in the crispers...)
While Linda and Claudette explored the grounds for a while, I took after the menu plan. I always cook the meat dishes up early in the process, as they're often better after an overnight rest anyway. We had Mexican "porcupine" meatballs and pulled pork simmered in orange juice on the plan, as well as some refried beans. The requisite sauces were whipped up, and I luxuriated in the first four-burner cooktop down here in a long while. I also began my annual ritual of small cuts on my hands and fingers, as my very sharp knives are always used at odd angles in these rooms.
Back from the walk, Linda whipped up a salad and I made dressing, we had a lovely light lunch on the balcony. After a quick visit to the tiny grocery to acquire the needed poblano, we kicked back for the afternoon. Naps DO have their place when on vacation.
The turkey meatballs, with their included rice, made a nice base for dinner. Guacamole, beans & tortillas ... what's not to like? This recipe and the pork were made from Pati's Mexican Table by Pati Jinich; but keep the faith. Rick Bayless shows up soon enough (in fact, it's his bean recipe).
We get lovely little truffles as a turndown-service treat, and they had been piling up. So that was dessert, and off to some well-earned rest.
No comments:
Post a Comment