The loose plan was to join Martha & company at their place today. Here, no one was up early or moving quickly, I have to say. I had the pleasant duty of preparing a sampler plate for our wonderful concierge (putting the pots de creme in a zipper bag in hopes he could smuggle THAT out to share with his generous wife and father-in-law). I was concerned as I found our original concierge, who's a supervisor, working with him at the desk when I delivered the plate. But no help for it ... he tucked it into the 'frig and I hoped for the best.
We had forecast arriving at Martha's around noon, but it was easily that hour before we set out looking for a cab. It's no small task to leave these grounds. First, as noted earlier ... they're extensive. Then there are the security measures that help ensure if anything's left in a taxi (or, heaven forfend, anything more complicated occurs) ... eligible taxis queue up, riders are given a slip with the taxi number on it, the starter declares the destination, etc. We piled into a truly ancient vehicle, seat belts too ragged to drag through their reels, back seat occupants chewing their kneecaps. It had been decades since it had a working suspension. Oh my!
However, the driver was friendly and delivered us to our destination without difficulty. We had brought beer, wine, meatballs, jicama salad, the laptop, and various devices and diversions for each of us. We had not attempted to reach Martha to tell her we were enroute, the thought was we'd just find her on the beach.
Well. Once there, the prospect of trekking all this garbuschki down to the beach and then back again really had no charm. Claudette set off down the path to the playa and before too long, we could see her and Martha working their way back towards us. In the mean time, pleasantly, another guest noted us just standing there and asked if we knew where we were going. We joked that, actually, we did NOT, but the problem would be solved very quickly as our friend was approaching. It was nice to have that expression of caring.
As it happened, we had pulled up directly beside Martha's unit, how handy. We tumbled inside and sorted ourselves out, and the three sun lovers headed back to the beach. I settled in for some needlework (I thought) and enjoyed the stiff breeze of of the ocean.
Shortly, the Tepic amigas arrived to prepare a light lunch of chile-sprinkled jicama. One had a flask of tequila and a liter of Squirt, and insisted that I make myself a pseudo-Margarita. Oh heck, you only live once or twice ...
I settled back into stitching, but soon was interrupted by the entire posse returning from the gale-force wind off of the ocean. I put the hand work away and watched the feverish preparations of dinner ... it had already gotten to be five o'clock. Yikes!
We'd brought meatballs, jicama salad, and pickled onions from the night before, and they had shrimp tamales, beans, guacamole and chips. It was a nice feast to tuck into, and again the conversation ebbed and flowed across the room.
Not that it had been really a long day, but we were ready to be home while it was still light. Martha had the front desk whistle us up a cab ... and what a contrast! New vehicle, perfect upholstery, seat belts that almost fastened themselves. And an effective suspension. Heaven!
Arriving back at our floor, we noticed the beautiful view from the elevator lobby. It's the opposite side of the building from our unit, overlooking a wildlife preserve and the community across the bay. The light was just right to snap some photos to share with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment